If you have been using FrontlineSMS Version 2 and you would like to upgrade to FrontlineCloud, you will need to manually transfer your messages and contacts. This process is fairly easy, and is outlined in the steps below. Also, once you've upgraded, FrontlineCloud Version 2 will automatically apply new updates, so you don’t have to worry about transferring your data again.
Please find below a quick guide to getting your data from Version 2 into FrontlineCloud.
1. Export your messages: To export messages, go to your inbox or to an activity or folder. From there, you can click on the "export" button on the right-hand side of the page, as indicated in the screenshot below.
To export contacts, navigate to the "Contact" tab, then click export. Alternatively, you can select a group of contacts if you've created one, and export that group.
You can read more about how to export messages and contacts from FrontlineSMS Version 2 here.
Note: Save any files you are exporting as a .csv to ensure that it can be properly handled by FrontlineCloud. Please ensure the files are exported in English.
2. Ensure you have safeguarded all other data that you wish to keep from the old version of the software. This is important, because if you uninstall Version 2 (not required, but we're guessing you're not going to keep it on your computer forever), this data will not be recoverable. If you are using the default database, copy the frontline.db filed in your FrontlineSMS configuration folder to a backup drive if you want to ensure it will be recoverable. This file contains the database of all your contacts, messages, keywords etc. If you do need to access it at a later date, you could re-install FrontlineSMS Version 2 to open it and try the export process again.
3. Go to http://www.frontlinesms.com/ and select 'Sign Up' to create a FrontlineCloud account.
4. Once you have completed the registration process and logged in to your account, navigate to the “Manage Account” menu. You can find this in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Then click on "Import & Export."
6. Ensuring you are under the “Import & Export” sub-heading, look for the part of the page entitled “Import”. From here, select the type of data you are importing. If you are doing both, you will have to import one and then repeat the process for the second.
7. Once you have selected what you want to import, click “Choose File” and navigate to the file you exported in step 1 above. Once you select the file, FrontlineCloud will immediately import it, so make sure it is the right file.
Your new contacts and messages will now be in the system alongside any existing messages and contacts you had.
If you experience problems upgrading, feel free to contact us on the community forum or via firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to help you.