If you have been using FrontlineSMS 1.6 or earlier, you will be able to transfer all your messages and contacts to FrontlineSMS Version 2. Upgrading is easy, but first, you'll need to export your messages and contacts from FrontlineSMS Version 1.
If you are using FrontlineSMS 1.6 or earlier and are looking to upgrade to FrontlineSMS Version 2, then please find below a quick guide to getting your data from 1.X to Version 2.
1. Export your contacts: click on the “File” menu on the top of the screen from your 1.X version, and choose “Export…“ >“Contacts“ OR “Messages”. If you would like to transfer both, then export both contacts and messages separately. Save any file as a .csv to ensure that it can be properly handled by FrontlineSMS Version 2. Please ensure the files are exported in English.
2. Ensure you have safeguarded all other data that you wish to keep from the old version of the software. This is important, as once you have uninstalled 1.X, this data will not be recoverable. If you are using the default database (SQLite), copy the frontline.db file in your FrontlineSMS configuration folder to a safe place. This file contains the database of all your contacts, messages, keywords etc. If you do need to access it at a later date, you could re-install FrontlineSMS 1.X, or alternatively use a SQLite tool such as http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/.
3. Uninstall 1.X using the normal procedures for your operating system.
4. Download the version of FrontlineSMS Version 2 corresponding to your operating system here and install it normally.
5. Launch FrontlineSMS Version 2 and navigate to the “Settings” menu. You can find access to “Settings” in the top right of your FrontlineSMS Version 2 window.
6. Ensuring you are under the “General” sub-heading, look for the part of the page entitled “Import”. From here, select the type of data you are importing. If you are doing both, you will have to import one and then repeat the process for the second.
7. Once you have selected what you want to import, click “Choose File” and navigate to the file you exported in step 1 above. Once you select the file, FrontlineSMS Version 2 will immediately import it, so make sure it is the right file.
Your new contacts and messages will now be in the system alongside any existing messages and contacts you had.
If you experience problems upgrading, feel free to contact us through on the community forum and we’ll be happy to help you.